Thursday, November 27, 2008

Plagiarism Warning

I need to warn all of you about your essays on the death penalty. I have graded one section's papers and found that many students decided to copy their essays off the Internet, or take large sections from articles on Wikipedia and otherwise and try to pass these off as their own writing. Students who engage in this sort of activity will receive a failing grade on their essays.

I have told you about the issue of plagiarism and this kind of activity falls under the aegis of plagiarism.

If you need to quote another source, you must:
a) NAME THE SOURCE AND THE PERSON WHOSE QUOTE YOU HAVE BORROWED
b) LIST THE SOURCES AT THE END OF YOUR PAPER

If you fail to do these things, you will be penalized.

I cannot stress how severely I look upon plagiarism. Even if you take someone else's writing and put it in your own words (paraphrase) it is still plagiarism if you do not attribute your sources.

You have been warned.

No comments: